Drones working to ensure public safety
To ensure public safety—not just in everyday work situations, but also during storms, wildfires and other emergencies—we provide our field crews with eyes in the sky. With our Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) program, drones help improve day-to-day operations, quicken our response time during emergency situations and deliver on the promise of clean, safe and reliable energy.
Did you know?
SDG&E was the first utility in the nation granted approval by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to research, test and train flight crews on UAS.
Since 2014, we’ve deployed drones to:
- Conduct aerial inspections of electric and gas facilities, including emergency response damage assessments.
- Pinpoint the causes of power outages.
- Access infrastructure in remote areas that are difficult for ground crews or helicopters to reach.
- Help string cable in a rugged area.
- Check vegetation management and construction work done by third parties.
- Monitor wildfires.