Switch to Energy-Efficient Home Lighting to Save on Your Bill
Did you know that all of the lights in your home add up to about 20% of your monthly electricity bill? Here are some bright ideas that can help you save money on your lighting.
Ways to Save
- Get instant rebates on energy-efficient lighting at participating retailers.
- Attend our Lighting Fairs: SDG&E partners with TechniArt at community events to bring discounted LED lights and energy-saving products to you.
- We hold lighting product demonstrations at local retailers, such as Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware, to show you the latest lighting technologies. These events give you an opportunity to get hands-on with the products, and learn more about energy-efficient lighting solutions. Store staff can show you where to find discounted lighting products in the store, too.
- Before you buy new lighting, see if you qualify for the Energy Savings Assistance program. Participants may receive new lighting and other energy-efficient appliances and services for free. See additional information on our assistance pages.
- Find CFL recycling locations and start recycling.
- Get help choosing the best LED for your home:
- Download a free Light Bulb Finder iPhone and Android app that can help you determine the best lighting options for your use.
- Energy Star’s lighting page and the LUMEN Coalition’s interactive lighting tool provide user-friendly guidance for LED shoppers.
- Read the lighting facts labels on LED bulb packages. The label lists light output, lamp life, color appearance, and lamp wattage. LEDs use much less energy than incandescents and CFLs to produce light, so instead of selecting your bulb by wattage, you’ll choose it by its brightness, measured in lumens.