We Can Help with Your Expansion and Relocation Needs
If you expect your electric or gas power needs to increase, we want to make sure our equipment is ready to go, both for your home or business and for your neighborhood.
SDG&E planners will work with you or your contractor to evaluate increased load requirements, meter location standards, and current system capabilities. This ensures your remodel or upgrade not only meets all required standards, but also aligns with the local system capacity to prevent future issues. If you are unsure of your needs, please consult a qualified electrician or plumber.
Plan for Your Project
When planning a remodel of your home or business, consider the following questions:
- Will your project result in greater square footage and/or increased energy needs?
- Will you be adding new appliances (air conditioner, water heater, etc.) or outdoor equipment (e.g., gas grill, swimming pool, spa, etc.)? If so, you or your contractor should estimate how much more electricity or gas the new items will require.
- Will your project require you to move or add an electric or gas meter? If so, you or your contractor will need to understand SDG&E meter location standards.
- Will you need temporary power, or will an old meter need to be removed?
If you need to obtain city/county permits and/or have a consultation with SDG&E, allow adequate time in your plan. The process can take several weeks depending on the complexity of required changes.
With these items in mind, you’ll be prepared to coordinate your updated electric and gas needs with SDG&E.
Complete an Online Service Request Form
Our online service request form is the easiest, fastest, most convenient way to get your project started. We'll guide you through the process step by step and ask you to provide:
- Service address
- Property type
- Property owner information
- Services being requested
- For electric service, current and proposed panel size and additional loads
- For gas service, additional gas appliances and CFH/BTU ratings for each