Skip to main content
Safety during an outage
During a power outage here some quick safety tips to follow:
- Use flashlight rather than candle for light
- If using a standby generator follow these safety tips
- Turn off major appliances like dishwasher or A/C that were running when the power went out to prevent them from starting unexpectedly when power is restored
- Unplug or turn off TVs, stereos or game systems
- Leave one light on so you know when power is restored
Supplies to keep on hand:
- A flashlight with a supply of fresh batteries.
- A portable battery-powered radio so you can keep up with the news.
- A telephone that does not depend on electricity. Cordless phones will not function during an outage.
- A supply of easy-to-prepare, nonperishable foods. This includes packaged snacks and bottled water and juices.
- A wind-up or battery-operated clock.
- A first-aid kit.
- A manual can opener.