Preparing for an Outage
Power outages don’t happen often, however, it's always a good idea to be prepared just in case.
We recommend going through this checklist and assembling an easily accessible kit that you can rely on in the event of a power outage. The following are useful items to have in an outage, and remember to replace items you've used up, such as batteries, food, and water, after the outage.
Outage Kit Checklist
- Battery-powered radio or television
- A phone that does not require electricity
- Non-electric alarm clock
- Bottled water and nonperishable food
- Manual can opener
- First aid kit
- Manufacturer's instructions on how to manually open power-operated doors (e.g., garage doors)
- Protect your computer from power surges with proper electrical connections.
- Have a battery backup for your computer for use during outages.
If you work out of your home, take steps to secure back-up power, lighting, and safety options during an outage.