Limited EV Purchase Credit
If you like saving money with your EV, you’ll love your EV credit. EV Drivers who’ve recently purchased or leased an electric vehicle, or are considering to buy/lease one soon, may qualify for a special, limited-time offer.
SDG&E will be issuing a credit for EV drivers who meet the following requirements:
Frequently Asked Questions
The Limited EV Purchase Credit is a program for customers who purchased or leased an EV between March 1, 2019, November 16, 2020.
- EXCEPTION: Any applicant who purchased an EV between March 1, 2019, to May 31, 2019, must not have applied/received the 2019 Electric Vehicle Climate Credit (EVCC) to be eligible.
The EVCC program officially closed May 31, 2019. This program served to reward residents who owned an EV and encourage others who were considering making the switch.
The Clean Fuel Reward is a new state-wide point-of-purchase incentive for EV customers who purchase/lease a new PEV. The program launches on November 17, 2020.
When this limited-time-only credit expires, it will be replaced with the Clean Fuel Reward Program (CFR). The CFR starts November 17, 2020, and applies to new electric vehicle purchases.
Only all-electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are eligible.
Other important eligibility factors:
- Electric motorcycles are not eligible
- Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEV)/Low Speed Vehicles (LSV) are not eligible
- Golf Carts and Golf Cart Registration FFVR 37 are not eligible
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles are not eligible
- Converted vehicles (gas to EV) are only eligible if the DMV registration indicates "Motor Power (MP) Electric" – a signed paper application must be submitted
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant does not need to be an SDG&E customer but must live within the SDG&E service territory. This will be verified via the home address or SDG&E account number
- Applicant must show proof of vehicle eligibility (VIN Number)
- EV must have been purchased between March 1, 2019, and November 16, 2020. An applicant cannot have applied/ received the 2019 Electric Vehicle Climate Credit (EVCC) to be eligible.
- Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Digital copy of your California DMV registration for upload.
- Acceptable formats: .PDF, .JPG, .TIF and .PNG
- Maximum file size: 10 MB
- SDG&E residential account number (if applicable)
Most customers should have the credit applied to their account, and residents receive their check, early-mid Q1 of 2021.
The amount each applicant receives varies based on the number of individuals to apply. Once the Limited EV Purchase Credit closes, the monetary amount will be announced shortly after.
You can inquire on the status of your application by calling our Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343.
If you’ve opted out of receiving promotional materials from SDG&E, you most likely did not receive the emails we sent about the credit. To change your contact preferences, call our Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343.
If you have moved out of the San Diego Gas and Electric service territory, you can apply for a check instead of a credit. You will need to fill out an IRS 1099 form before receiving your check. Please email [email protected] to notify us of your move.
If you have transferred service within the San Diego Gas and Electric service territory, your credit will be applied to your account at your new service location.