Limited EV Purchase Credit
If you've recently purchased or leased an electric vehicle (EV), you may qualify for a special, limited time offer.
SDG&E will be issuing a credit for EV drivers who meet the following requirements:
Join Our Interest List
The application period for the Electric Vehicle Purchase Credit Program has not yet started. However, if you feel you meet the above requirements, you can join our interest list and SDG&E will email you the application link once the program begins (expected late summer 2020).
Please note that completing that interest list form does not mean you have officially applied for the program. If you have additional questions, please call our Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Limited EV Purchase Credit is a program for customers who purchased an EV between March 1, 2019, till the launch of the state-funded Clean Fuel Rebate Program (CFR), later this year.
- EXCEPTION: Any applicant who purchased an EV between March 1, 2019, to May 31, 2019, must not have applied/ received the 2019 Electric Vehicle Climate Credit (EVCC) to be eligible.
The EVCC program officially closed May 31, 2019. This program served to reward residents who owned an EV and encourage others who were considering making the switch. The EVCC program has been replaced by the LEVPC until a new state-wide point-of-sale incentive launches in Q3 2020.
The Clean Fuel Rebate is a new state-wide point-of-purchase incentive for EV customers who purchase/lease a new PEV. The program will be launching this fall.
Unfortunately, no, this credit is available for 2020 only. At the close of this program, the Clean Fuel Rebate Program (CFR) will be launched statewide for new vehicle purchases. We will continue to update our website and social media pages as these offerings become available.
Only all-electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are eligible.
Other important eligibility factors:
- Electric motorcycles are not eligible
- Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEV)/Low Speed Vehicles (LSV) are not eligible
- Golf Carts and Golf Cart Registration FFVR 37 are not eligible
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles are not eligible
- Converted vehicles (gas to EV) are only eligible if the DMV registration indicates "Motor Power (MP) Electric" – a signed paper application must be submitted
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant does not need to be an SDG&E customer but must live within the SDG&E service territory. This will be verified via the home address or SDG&E account number
- Applicant must show proof of vehicle eligibility (VIN Number)
- EV must have been purchased between March 1, 2019, and the launch of the state-funded Clean Fuel Rebate (CFR). An applicant cannot have applied/ received the 2019 Electric Vehicle Climate Credit (EVCC) to be eligible.
- Step 1. Sign up to be part of the LEVPC interest list. Once on this list, you will receive an ongoing program update.
Signing up on the interest list does not automatically register you for the program, you will need to complete an official application once the program is live.
- Step 2. When program application opens, an email will be sent containing a link for official registration.
- Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Digital copy of your California DMV registration for upload.
- Acceptable formats: .PDF, .JPG, .TIF and .PNG
- Maximum file size: 10 MB
- SDG&E residential account number (if applicable)
Most customers should have the credit applied to their account, and residents receive their check by 2021.
The amount each applicant receives varies based on the number of individuals to apply. Once the Limited EV Purchase Credit closes, the monetary amount will be announced shortly after.
You can inquire on the status of your application by calling our Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343.
If you’ve opted out of receiving promotional materials from SDG&E, you most likely did not receive the emails we sent about the credit. To change your contact preferences, call our Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343.
If you have moved out of the San Diego Gas and Electric service territory, you can apply for a check instead of a credit. You will need to fill out an IRS 1099 form before receiving your check. Please email [email protected] to notify us of your move.
If you have transferred service within the San Diego Gas and Electric service territory, your credit will be applied to your account at your new service location.