Environmental Champions Initiative
For more than a decade, SDG&E has invested in Environmental Champions grantees who demonstrate a strong commitment to community-based environmental education and enhancement.
Information for 2021 Grant Seekers
SDG&E’s Environmental Champions initiative supports 501(c)3 non-profit organizations whose programs work to improve our local environment in San Diego County and southern Orange County. This marks the 11th year that SDG&E has offered charitable funding under this signature initiative.
Organizations may apply for program funding that supports climate action in one or more of the following topics:
- Urban greening, such as community habitat restoration, tree planting, school/community gardens, trail building or other tangible projects with lasting impact
- Climate literacy and environmental education for K-12 youth and adults
- Clean transportation programs that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and/or improve air quality
Priority will be given to programs that serve low-income, diverse, and under-invested communities. In support of SDG&E’s Sustainability Strategy and commitment to plant 10,000 trees annually, priority will also be given to projects that integrate urban tree planting.
SDG&E will accept proposals from 501(c)3 non-profit organizations operating in its service territory of San Diego County and/or southern Orange County. Organizations may apply for a grant up to $25,000. Grants will be awarded in amounts ranging from $2,500 - $25,000. You may only apply for one grant per organization. Single school programs are not eligible; nor are programs that take place outside of SDG&E’s service territory.
All applicants must submit their grant proposals online by Friday April 30, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. PST. You may access the 2021 Environmental Champions grant application here.
For additional information, please view the frequently asked questions below. You may also contact SDG&E Community Relations at [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
Our online grant applications are compatible with the following internet browsers:
- Internet Explorer® 10
- Internet Explorer® 9
- Internet Explorer® 8
- Mozilla® Firefox® (for PC and Mac)
- Safari® (for PC and Mac)
- Google Chrome
Use the link that is provided to you by the Manager of the Initiative.
- You will need the username and password of the applicant’s organization. If the organization has applied in the past, someone should have that information. If not, be prepared to create a username and password. You may want to write this down so other people in your organization can see past applications.
- Next, enter the applying organization’s non-profit (e.g. tax id #12-3456789 with or without the dash). If you do not have a valid non-profit tax id number, but have an organization that is a valid non-profit and has agreed to be your fiduciary or fiscal agent, following the instructions below:
- Enter the applying organization’s tax id number and address, if it is a fiduciary or fiscal agent, use their tax id number and address;
- Enter the applying organization’s name;
- Enter the legal name of the applying organization, if it is a fiduciary or fiscal agent, use their legal name;
- Enter applying organization’s CEO or ED’s contact information;
- Enter applying organization’s primary contact information;
- Attach applying organization’s Board of Directors list;
- Attach applying organization’s Annual budget;
- Attach applying organization’s Program budget;
- Attach applying organization’s Annual report (if available; Details for your program, including budget and impact);
- Enter applying organization’s social media information, including links, handles and number of followers.
- Lastly, if you are a Grant Writer and you assist more than one Organization, make sure you are using the right tax ID number for that organization.
Use the address that is on file with the IRS. If you have moved and the current address associated with the Organization has not been updated through the IRS, use the address on the organization’s website or their PO Box mailing address (do not use a home address).
Yes, click on save and finish later. When you go back into the application, follow the instructions from there.
Tips: Save and print a PDF file for your records.
Thank you and good luck!