Customer Generation Interconnection
On June 4, 2021, the California Public Utilities Commission issued Decision D.21-06-002, which, among other things, adopted a two-year pilot program that permits certain small non-export Generating Facilities* to interconnect and operate in parallel with SDG&E’s Distribution System under a Notification-Only Process for certain small non-export projects (Notification-Only Process) in lieu of the standard interconnection application process.
Under the Notification-Only Process, pre-approved contractors are permitted to submit a Notification-Only Package using SDG&E’s online portal, DIIS, no later than 15 days after obtaining electrical release from the local authority having jurisdiction to SDG&E and receive permission to operate (PTO) upon submission of the Notification-Only Package.
Applying for Pre-Approved Contractor Status:
In order to become a pre-approved contractor eligible for participation in the Notification-Only Process, interested contractors are required to submit an eligibility request to SDG&E that includes:
- The contractor’s name and contact information
- A list of no less than 20 non-export projects, including the SDG&E application ID numbers, for which PTO was issued by SDG&E and how each project meets each of the eligibility criteria for the Notification-Only Process set forth below. Please be sure to address all of the eligibility criteria. Note: Pre-approved contractors are permitted to include on the list of previous projects that achieved non-export through means other than an Underwriter Laboratories-certified power control system equipped with an open loop response time of two seconds or less that is set to a non-export mode (e.g., a non-export relay).
Interested contractors may begin submitting eligibility request on July 19, 2021. Pre-approved contractors may begin submitting Notification-Only Packages immediately upon receiving pre-approval status from SDG&E.
Please submit completed eligibility requests to [email protected]
SDG&E will provide a response within 10 business days after receiving a complete eligibility request.
Eligible Generating Facilities:
The Notification-Only Process cannot be used more than once at the same Point of Interconnection.
Line-side taps are NOT permitted under the Notification-Only Process.
All of the following requirements must be met in order for a Generating Facility to be eligible for the Notification-Only Process:
- The total capacity of the Generating Facility must be less than or equal to 30 kilovolt-amps and may consist of one of the following options:
- A new non-export energy storage system,
- A new non-export Generating Facility consisting of an energy storage system and a solar system, or
- A new energy storage system being added to an existing Generating Facility where the total Generating Facility capacity is non-export.
- Each pre-approved contractor shall be limited to 10 non-export projects per circuit ;
- Eligible Generating Facilities must use an Underwriter Laboratories-certified power control system equipped with an open loop response time of two seconds or less that is set to a non-export mode.
- Eligible Generating Facilities shall be limited to 120-volt or 240-volt service equipped with a self-contained SDG&E billing meter;
- Eligible Generating Facilities shall be operated in a manner that does not increase the customer’s peak load;
- Eligible Generating Facilities shall use only pre-approved inverters;
- Eligible Generating Facilities shall be installed such that when connected to a single-phase transformer with 120/240 volts secondary voltage, the aggregated gross output is as balanced as practicable between the two 120-volt legs of the 240-volt service.