Easement Quitclaim

If you would like to request that SDG&E quitclaim easement(s) encumbering your property, you will need to complete our Quitclaim Request form. Your request must be accompanied by the appropriate documents listed below and a nonrefundable application fee. See Quitclaim Request form for current fees. 

Read the Land Use Constraints and FAQS quick reference guide for potential CPUC Sections 851 - 857 and CPUC Tribal Land Transfer Policy constraints.  Links to these code and policy details can be found on the Land Services main page. 


Easement Quitclaim

Quitclaim Request Process

Complete our online Quitclaim Request form submit plans and any other relevant information.

Completed application package will be circulated internally and reviewed to determine if requested quitclaim can be granted.

If there are existing SDG&E facilities within the easement area, we are unable to process your request, until such time as SDG&E facilities have been completely removed or relocated. 

If SDG&E can accommodate your request, we will prepare the quitclaim, subject to CPUC approval if applicable. 

If CPUC approval is required, SDG&E will prepare and file an advice letter or application to the CPUC. Upon CPUC approval, SDG&E can grant the quitclaim. 

SDG&E will record the executed quitclaim with the appropriate county and a copy will be returned to you.

Document Submission 

  1. Complete our online Quitclaim Request form below. 
  2. Submit completed request form and all of the following applicable documents to the Land Services department at [email protected]


    Documents List
    • Map or plan illustrating the easement location and any existing or proposed SDG&E facilities
    • Title Report
    • Any other relevant documents that pertain to your request
    • Completed Quitclaim Request form
    191.74 KB
    Quitclaim Request Form
    Quitclaim Request Form

    Frequently Asked Questions

    An easement or right-of-way is a right to use the property of another for certain purposes. SDG&E obtains easements on property, owned by others, for the right to install, maintain, operate and access our facilities on that property, owned by others, for the right to install, maintain, operate and access our facilities on that property. The easement may restrict certain uses within the easement or right-of-way area, for the purpose of maintaining encumbered access to SDG&E facilities, allowing us to maintain safe and reliable systems. An easement or right-of-way remains in effect and transfers with the property to any new owners. 

    An SDG&E utility corridor is a strip of land that forms a passageway through which SDG&E installs, operates and maintains its gas and electric facilities both above and below ground. An SDG&E utility corridor can either be located within land owned by SDG&E, or within land owned by another upon which SDG&E has an easement or right-of-way.

    An encroachment occurs when a person builds on or intrudes on, under, or over the property of another, including within an easement, without permission from the property or easement holder.

    Property owners should refer to their property title report or title policy to determine the presence of any easements on their property.

    Any item or activity that could interfere with the safe and reliable operation of SDG&E’s facilities is called an encroachment, which is prohibited under the terms of the easement along with any prohibited encroachments by City, State, and Federal policies. SDG&E actively enforces rights granted by our easements, and protected by these government policies, to ensure reliable operation of our electric and gas systems.

    The Owner of the property has the responsibility to maintain clearance of all encroachments from an SDG&E easement, which can include clearing of vegetation, trash, or any other materials that interfere with SDG&E facilities. SDG&E’s easements give us the right, but not the obligation, to trim trees and remove vegetation as needed.  SDG&E may choose to enforce its easement rights to require such clearing at the property owner’s expense.

    SDG&E has the right to use an easement or right-of-way for specific purposes including access to and from its gas and electric facilities for maintenance and construction. SDG&E may enforce these rights and rights granted through government policies, by requiring the encroachment be removed at the property owner’s expense.

    At SDG&E, we take great care to keep our facilities clear of anything that might cause a safety or reliability issue.  Uses within an SDG&E easement or right-of-way are usually very limited in scope and type.   Uses of any type require written consent from SDG&E along with adherence to all California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) General Orders and OSHA standards. Certain encroachments may require approval from the CPUC.  If you have an existing project number from SDG&E Builder Services or Service Order Team, you can submit an Encroachment Request  for SDG&E to review. 

    If you have an easement maintenance concern, please email SDG&E Land Services Department at [email protected].

    Contact Information

    For questions regarding an SDG&E easement or right-of-way

    Email the Land Services Department at [email protected] if you have questions regarding a SDG&E easement or right-of-way.

    For general inquiries, NOT related to land rights, contact SDG&E Customer Service at 1-800-411-7343. 

    For inquiries regarding vegetation management

    Visit our Vegetation Management pages.

    Email Vegetation Management at [email protected] or Call (858) 654–8608

    Call 811 Before You Dig 

    Please call 811 for Dig Alert before you dig. DigAlert must be called at least 2 working days in advance of digging but no more than 14 days before digging is to start. If digging is not complete within 28 days of mark out, then DigAlert must be called to mark out again. Mark out must be redone every 28 days until excavation (digging) is completed.  Mark out is provided free for the first mark out.  SDG&E will send a crew to mark the underground gas and electric facilities before you begin work, helping you to plan a safe project.  For detailed DigAlert information go to https://digalert.org/calaw-full