Qualify for a monthly energy bill discount
Almost 280,000 customers are receiving a CARE discount on their bill. Simply fill out our online enrollment form and we'll let you know if you're eligible for a monthly bill discount. You might also qualify for free energy-efficient home improvements.
If you're a submetered customer or just started service with us in the past 30 days click here.
What You Need to Know
If you qualify, you'll be enrolled in one of the following energy bill discount programs:
- With the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) Program you'll receive at least a 35% discount on your bill every month. Under this program you'll also receive a lower rate for your electricity use.
- With the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) Program you'll receive a 12% discount on your bill every month. The FERA Program is only open to households with three (3) or more. Your total household income must be within the income range listed for the FERA Programs.
- Program eligibility requirements
Program Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility is based on your household size and yearly income or by your household participation in certain public assistance programs.
Here are the public assistance programs that qualify:
- Medicaid/Medi-Cal (Under 65)
- Medicaid/Medi-Cal (Over 65)
- Medicaid/Medi-Cal for Families A & B
- CalFresh (Food Stamps) SNAP
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF
Here are the income levels that qualify:
Qualification is based on household size and total current household income* (total income of all persons living in your house, condo, apartment or mobile home).
Number in Household
Total Annual Household Income CARE Program FERA Program
$40,181 - $50,225
$48,501 - $60,625
$56,821 - $71,025
$65,141 - $81,425
$73,461 - $91,825
$81,781 - $102,225
Effective June 1, 2015 to May 31, 2016
- The SDG&E bill must be in your name and the address must be your primary residence.
- You must notify SDG&E if you no longer qualify.
- You may not be claimed on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse.
- Your total current household income (all income of all persons living in your home) — before deductions — is no more than the income level listed and you may be asked to verify your income.
- You must renew your application when requested.
* Total household income is all taxable and non-taxable revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments; public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, income from self-employment, and all employment-related non-cash income.
- Questions or other ways to apply?
Email us at email@example.com or call us at 1-800-411-7343.
Other ways to apply
PHONE: Please call 211 and ask for the Energy Bill Discount Program.
TDD/TTY: For speech or hearing-impaired customers call us at 1-877-889-7343.
MAIL: If you prefer to mail us an application, one can be found here: CARE Application
Our mailing address is:
San Diego Gas & Electric
San Diego, CA 92112-9985