To improve safety and reliability for South Orange County’s electric utility customers, SDG&E plans to upgrade the decades-old lines, poles and substations within the cities of
- San Juan Capistrano
- San Clemente
- Unincorporated areas of Orange County.
- Rebuild the substation in San Juan Capistrano that was last renovated in the 1950’s;
- Upgrade the transmission lines from 69kV and 138kV to 230kV in order to provide the electric reliability needed today; and
- Replace existing structures with taller new steel poles, which enhance safety and reliability.
- Improves reliability to existing electric system
- Modernizes electric transmission system and replaces outdated equipment
- Meet current and future energy needs of local home and business demands
- Allows for operating flexibility
- Meets federal reliability standards
What to Expect
Minimize community impacts. The four to five-year construction project will be phased in order to minimize community impacts as much as possible. SDG&E and contract crews will perform the majority of the work during normal business hours, Monday through Saturday. Should changes to this schedule be necessary, SDG&E will notify the local residents and businesses as well as the City and other appropriate agencies.
Maximize communication with community. SDG&E will contact all affected community members through a variety of communications means such as US Mail, email, door-to-door outreach and news media.
Advance notification. Residents near the substations and transmission corridors may be subjected to temporary construction-related disturbances such as noise, dust, and traffic interruption. SDG&E will notify local residents in advance as much as possible and be available to answer questions.
Proponent’s Environmental Assessment (PEA)
CPUC Regulatory Process
SDG&E filed an application with the CPUC for the SOCRE project in 2012. Important dates and links below.
CPUC Scoping Process dates:
- Public Meetings 1/23/13 & 1/24/13
- Public Comment 1/9/13-2/22/13
- Draft EIR- expected late summer 2013
- Final Decision expected late 2013
CPUC website for SOCRE Project
Go to the CPUC site
Para informacion Español
Contact Us/More Information
- Visit our Project Outreach Office at:
31521 Camino Capistrano, Suite B
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Bilingual Services Available*
As soon as all permits are received, anticipated in late 2013, SDG&E workers will begin a four to five-year construction schedule.
The project will begin with the reconstruction of the San Juan Capistrano substation. Workers will also begin removing the existing transmission structures and replace them with upgraded, modern structures.
|2012 – 2013
|2013 – 2017
||Rebuild SJC Substation
|2013 – 2017
||New transmission lines - Phased completion
|2013 – 2017
||Replace existing structures with taller
new steel poles
SDG&E staff will be on hand at the following events to provide information on the South Orange County Reliability Enhancement project.
Call 949-361-8065 for more information.
San Juan Summer Concert Series:
Historic Town Center Park,
31852 El Camino Real,
San Juan Capistrano
6 pm to 8 pm
San Clemente 2013 Fiesta Street Festival:
100 & 200 block of Ave. Del Mar in San Clemente
9 am to 7 pm
EMF Q&A for SOCRE Project