What is an Unplanned Outage?
Unplanned outages can be caused by many things; traffic accidents, damage to power lines, and most commonly storms and high winds. If your power goes out unexpectedly, the first thing to do is check your circuit breaker or fuses. If your circuits and fuses are properly connected, call SDG&E at 1-800-611-7343 to report the outage. In cases of widespread power outages, our phone lines may be busy, so please be patient and try your call again in a few minutes.
When you call to report an outage you will be asked for the following information:
- Your name, address and phone number
- The time the power was interrupted
- If it’s just your power or the entire area
- If you saw or heard anything unusual when the power went out
- If you can see any power lines on the ground
- Restoring Power
When an outage is reported, we send crews to the scene to assess the damage. Often, the crew can make a repair on the spot, but with extensive damage, a special repair crew may need to be called out.
Once the situation has been assessed, we can provide time estimates for restoration. To receive updated information about the situation:
- Call our automated system at 1-800-611- SDGE (7343) 24 hours a day without having to wait to talk to a representative.
Visit the outage map page.