We're here for you.
Get 30% or more off your energy bill
For many, meeting everyday needs isn’t easy. And during this challenging time, it may be even more difficult to pay your bills. For those customers, we offer several assistance programs, like CARE and FERA, that provide monthly discounts on your energy bill. Learn more about these programs.
You can apply through our automated phone system.
Download the application and mail it to:
ATTN: CARE Program
San Diego Gas & Electric
PO Box 129831
San Diego, CA 92112-9985
If you live in an apartment building, mobile home park, residential RV park or marina and billed through a landlord, you can apply via the link below.
Non-Profit Group Living Facilities
Tax-exempt group living facilities, like homeless shelters, hospices or women’s shelter may qualify for CARE.
Housing for Agricultural Employees
CARE application for qualified agricultural employee housing facilities.
Choose your language below to access the application.
Installing Additional Language Fonts
In order to view these pages properly, you need language fonts, which are usually standard in the latest operating systems and browsers. Older computers may, however, need to have the appropriate language fonts installed.
Other rules and guidelines for these programs may apply:
- If you apply to the CARE program as an individual, your name and address must be your primary residence. This does not apply to group homes.
- If at any point you no longer qualify for the program, you must notify SDG&E.
- If your energy use exceeds the standards and is considered high use, you may be removed from the CARE program. (As of July 1, 2021, SDG&E has reinstated the high-use rule.)
- If you apply, you cannot be claimed on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse or domestic partner.
- Income is defined as total and current household income* for all persons living in your home, before deductions. You may be asked to verify your income.
- You will need to renew or re-enroll in the program when requested.
*Total household income is all taxable and non-taxable revenues, from all household members. Income would include, but is not limited to:
- Spousal and child support payments
- Public assistance payments
- Social Security
- Rental Income
- Income from self-employment
- All employment-related non-cash income
Energy Savings Assistance Program
When you apply for the CARE/FERA programs, we’ll also see if you qualify for no-cost energy-efficient home improvements.
California LifeLine Program
If you’re receiving public assistance, you may also qualify for a phone discount through the California LifeLine Program.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
This federal assistance program offers help with utility bill payments and energy-related home improvements.
Electric Vehicle Assistance Program
Assistance to help purchase or lease a new or used hybrid, plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle.
When you enroll in CARE or FERA, you’ll be automatically enrolled in the Power Saver Rewards program. Simply reduce your electricity use when energy demand is high, and you can earn a bill credit. The Power Saver Rewards program gives you one more way to save.