What valuable benefits do customers receive?
Clean, safe and reliable energy. Delivered to our communities when and where it’s needed. It’s as simple and as complicated as that. But that’s the mission at SDG&E. And that’s what you can expect as an SDG&E customer. It’s a much longer story to describe the steps in how we deliver clean, safe and reliable energy because each of those things requires different efforts.
But the results are clear. SDG&E is a leader among energy companies in safety, reliability and clean energy development. In 2021, SDG&E received the ReliabilityOne® Award for "Outstanding Reliability Performance" among utilities in the West for the 16th consecutive year and was also named most reliable in the nation for a second time. To be named the most reliable utility in a metropolitan service area in the Western United States means electricity is available when customers need it, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, with fewer and shorter interruptions than anywhere in the West.
#1 in Reliability
From the dry cleaner, to the corner store, to your favorite restaurant, a steady flow of electricity is what improves our lives.
- Replacing or upgrading outdated equipment
- Modernizing our electric infrastructure to limit the frequency and duration of power outages
- Improving the safety and reliability of overhead power lines throughout the region
- Reducing the risk of damage to power lines and poles in fire-prone areas
Sustainability is built into everything we do including purchasing electricity for our customers.
- Delivering more than 40 percent renewable energy under California’s Renewable Portfolio Standard
- Partnering with Community Choice Aggregators to support customer choice in who purchases their electricity
A commitment to safety and security
That means investing in infrastructure and technology to deliver even better service, greater reliability and more peace of mind for customers.
- Proactively replacing or discontinuing service of pipeline facilities that have reached the end of their useful life or are experiencing deterioration
- Supporting our highly trained workforce who patrol, inspect, test, repair and replace electric equipment and natural gas pipelines
- Emergency gas crews available 24/7
Burying power lines
- 60% of our power lines are underground, compared to the national industry average of about 40%
Industry-leading wildfire mitigation, climate science and adaptation program
We continue to strengthen our infrastructure, weather technology, data analysis and our partnerships and communications with local community organizations, government entities and emergency responders.
- Alert SDG&E fire watch cameras that enable local fire agencies to quickly gauge the conditions and direction of a fire remotely prior to deploying resources
- Groundbreaking weather station network (more than 200 stations) to monitor wind speed, humidity and temperature
- Multiple SDG&E firefighting helicopters that help keep communities fire safe
- Regional partnerships with fire agencies, local governments and regional non-profits like 211 San Diego and the Red Cross.
The latest technology to enable cleaner air and healthier communities
Whether it is private rooftop solar, energy storage, microgrids, electric vehicles or energy management tools at homes and businesses, we’re installing technologies that help integrate and expand these choices.
- Investing in power grid sensing technologies to help address voltage fluctuations
- Cutting-edge solutions like the patented Renewable Meter Adapter making it safer, easier and less expensive for customers to install private rooftop solar