Employee Volunteerism & Giving
SDG&E’s employees take pride in giving back to our local community by volunteering with the charitable organizations that matter most to them and their families. By giving their time and talent, they support hundreds of different causes in the community. The Environmental All-Stars and Challenge Grant programs are just a couple of examples of how our employees are active members of their communities and make volunteerism a top priority.
Please click on a picture to start the photo gallery
Environmental All Stars
SDG&E employees are passionate about the environment and recognize their personal and collective obligation to help the local environment through service. Whether the activity is tree planting, removing invasive plant species for Least Tern nesting season or installing solar panels onto homes in underserved communities, SDG&E is committed to empowering employees to make a more environmentally sustainable community for all. These are our Environmental All Stars.
In 2016, over 900 Environmental All Stars, including SDG&E employees and their families, collectively volunteered for the following projects:
- Least Tern Habitat Restoration with San Diego Audubon Society in Mission Bay
- San Diego River Cleanup with the San Diego River Park Foundation in Mission Valley
- Calling All Beach Lovers Cleanup and Water Safety Day with Outdoor Outreach, Barrio Logan College Institute , San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation, and I Love A Clean San Diego in Mission Bay
- Coastal Clean Up Day with I Love A Clean San Diego, San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy, Agua Hedionda Lagoon Foundation, City of Poway, Blue Sky Ecological Reserve, Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve, and others at five regional cleanup sites
- City Heights Facelift with the City Heights Community Development Corporation
In 2017, we look forward to continuing to make a meaningful impact on the communities that we serve through environmental volunteer projects, including tree planting, solar installation, community beautification, waterway cleanups and more!
Employee Giving Campaigns
In 2016, 57% of all SDG&E employees participated in the Sempra Employees Giving Network automatic payroll deductions and gave over $600,000 from their own paychecks to the charities and causes in our region.
For some Challenge Grant charities, employees also organized their own volunteer campaigns (seminars, barbeques, cupcake sales, golf tournaments, ice cream socials, walks, etc.) to raise funds from their colleagues and to educate on the cause behind those charities.
In 2017, those charities will include:
- The Burn Institute
- Council of the Navy League
- The San Diego Humane Society
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Habitat for Humanity
- AIDS Walk
- Alzheimer’s San Diego
- Pedal the Cause