$10,000 off means affordable electric cars for SDG&E customers
SDG&E customers looking to experience the excitement of driving electric are being offered $10,000 off the purchase of a 2017 Nissan Leaf or any 2017 BMW i3 model. This is in addition to the up to $10,000 in state cash rebate and federal tax credit incentives.
All-electric cars have fewer parts which result in no oil changes and less maintenance costs. Electric cars on freeways and neighborhood streets in the San Diego region reduces greenhouse gases and improves air quality. Moreover, when EVs plug into SDG&E’s grid they receive 43% renewable energy and no coal.
How to Qualify
- Bring a copy of your SDG&E bill and Nissan or BMW discount flyer to any participating dealership.
- If your name is not on the bill, but you live in the same household, bring in the bill along with your driver’s license to show proof of residency.
- Participating dealerships for the Nissan Leaf include any Nissan dealership in SDG&E’s territory. For the BMW i3 the discount qualifies at BMW of San Diego.
- The discount is good through September 30, 2017 or while vehicle supplies last, whichever comes first.
Incentives and Resources
There are numerous incentives and resources for EV drivers.
- EV Day San Diego. Stop by the region’s largest EV ride-and-drive for National Drive Electric Week’s “EV Day San Diego” at Qualcomm Stadium on Sept. 9. Visit sdge.com/EVDay.
- State rebate. Qualified lower-income applications receive up to $4,500 in the form of a state rebate for purchasing or leasing an EV. Others can receive up to $2,500 and are currently being wait-listed.
- Federal tax credit. Purchases of EVs can receive a federal tax credit up to $7,500.
- Carpool lane. Drive in the carpool lane with just one person, apply here.
- EV time-of-use rates save you money when you program your car to charge during the cheapest times of night.
- EV charging program. Live in an apartment or condo? Connect your property manager or HOA with SDG&E’s EV charging program for multifamily communities.
- Want free public charging? Ask Nissan and BMW about their free charging programs at select public charging stations.
- Annual bill credit. Sign up to get an annual bill credit from SDG&E for driving an electric car. In 2017, drivers received $200 each from the EV Climate Credit program.
Charging Your EV
All EVs come with a cord that plugs into a 120-volt outlet, so you can begin charging right away. To charge your car faster, contact a certified electrician install a Level 2 (240-volt) charging station. Visit the SDG&E Marketplace for a list of Level 2 chargers. By signing up for the SDG&E EV time-of-use rate, you can program your car to charge during the cheapest times of night.
In SDG&E’s territory there are more than 1,100 public charging stations. Both Nissan and BMW offer free charging at select public charging stations.
My name is not on the SDG&E bill, can I still get this Nissan Leaf or BMW i3 special offer?
If your name is not on the bill, but you live in the same household you must show the utility bill along with proof of residency from your driver’s license.
How do I qualify?
Bring a copy of your SDG&E bill with your name and a copy of the flyer to the participating dealerships. If your name is not on the bill, but you live at the residence, bring a copy of the bill along with your driver’s license showing proof of residency at that address.
Which dealerships are participating?
This offer is good at any BMW or Nissan dealership in SDG&E’s territory.
Does the $10,000 off of a Nissan Leaf or BMW i3 preclude me from participating in the state cash rebate and the federal tax credit?
No, the state cash rebate and federal tax credit are in addition to the $10,000 discount. The federal tax credit only qualifies for purchases. The state rebate is being waitlisted for some participants, visit www.cleanvehiclerebate.org for more details.
The state rebate is currently wait-listing some applicants, what are the details?
Visit the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project website for information at www.cleanvehiclerebate.org.
When does this promotion end?
The promotion ends September 30.
What happens if the color I prefer is not in stock?