Summer Savings Tips for Your Home
Tips for Saving Energy
- Set your air conditioner to 78 degrees or higher. Changing the A/C thermostat from 72 to 78 degrees can save up to 12% of your cooling costs.
- Switch to fans when you can. Use a portable or ceiling fan instead of central A/C when you can comfortably do so.
- Freshen A/C filters regularly. Make sure the filter in your central A/C is clean so it runs more efficiently.
- Weatherstrip and caulk drafty doors and windows to keep conditioned air in and save up to 5% on cooling costs.
- Power down equipment. Use power strips or unplug electronics such as DVRs, game consoles and TVs that draw power even when switched off.
- Make the light choice. When you replace lights, choose energy-efficient products such as LEDs and CFLs.
- Use a pool or spa cover. Covers can reduce heat loss by up to 90%.
- Filter your swimming pool for less when you switch to an energy-efficient, variable-speed pool pump and get one of our rebates.
- Block direct sunlight. Close window coverings, or use solar shade screens, reflective films, awnings or trees to shade exposed windows.
- Target your top opportunities to save energy and money with the online energy management tools you'll find in My Account.