My Account Frequently Asked Questions
What is My Account?
My Account allows you to access online services specific to your SDG&E account(s). Online services offered through My Account include online billing and online payment as well as other account-related information and analysis tools. SDG&E plans to add additional online services to My Account, as appropriate, in the future.
Online billing allows you to view, print and save up to 25 months of bills and/or update your billing or mailing address for the SDG&E account(s) you have linked to My Account.
Online payment allows you to pay your SDG&E bill(s) online. Taking part in online payment requires you to provide your currently effective bank account information to SDG&E.
Who can sign up for My Account?
My Account is available to SDG&E residential and business customers. To make an Online Payment, an account must be in good standing and have no more than one (1) returned check within the last 12 consecutive months.
How do I know when my SDG&E bill is ready to be viewed online?
By registering for My Account, you will automatically receive e-mail notifications when your SDG&E bill is issued. These “bill ready” notifications will be sent to the current e-mail address on file for each SDG&E account you have set up online. You may log in just to view your bill online, without making a payment. Another option is to log in and view your bill online, and then pay your bill online by providing the necessary banking information.
Is there a fee to participate in My Account?
There is no charge from SDG&E to participate, however some financial institutions may charge a fee for electronic fund transfers. Please check with your bank or financial institution about any fees that may apply.
How do I sign up for My Account?
Signing up for My Account is quick and easy.
- New to My Account? Sign Up »
- Enter your 10 digit SDG&E account number
- Enter the 5-digit zip code of the address to which your bill is mailed
- Entering customer and security information
After signing up, you’re ready to use My Account, just enter your User ID and Password.
Will I continue to receive a paper copy of my monthly bill?
If you pay your bill online with My Account (One-Time payment or Recurring payments) or elect paperless billing, you will no longer receive SDG&E bills through the mail for any SDG&E account(s) you pay online. You will automatically receive an e-mail notification when your SDG&E bill is issued.
SDG&E will forward any late payment, collections or shut-off notices through the U.S. mail. If you still wish to receive paper SDG&E bills by U.S. mail, please contact SDG&E by e-mail or call 1-800-411-SDGE (7343)
When paying my bill using My Account, do I have to pay the total bill amount?
You may pay any amount you wish and make payments as often as you want, however, paying less than your total bill amount or choosing a date beyond the due date may result in an interruption of service.
What if I want to pay more than my total bill?
You may pay any amount you wish and can choose to pay more than your total bill amount, especially if you are going to be traveling for an extended period of time.
How soon will my account be credited after making an online payment?
Payments made Monday through Friday before 4 p.m. Pacific Time will post to your account the same day. Payments made after 4 p.m., or on weekends or holidays will post to your account on the evening of the next business day. (Business days are Monday through Friday, except for banking holidays). To avoid late payment please ensure that your payment is made prior to 4 p.m. Pacific Time on the due date of the bill.
I have security concerns about online transactions. Is my banking information secure when I make an online payment?
SDG&E has developed a registration and transaction process with your security in mind. While we cannot guarantee the confidentiality or security of any communication transmitted or accessible over the Internet, we do encrypt your financial account numbers on our systems and in transmission and comply with all applicable laws in handling such information.
What can I do to prevent unauthorized access to My Account?
Your contribution is important to protect the security of your access to our services. You can help prevent unauthorized access by following these security tips:
- Protect your User ID (user name) or password, by keeping it unique and known only to you. These are keys for accessing your information on our system. Please protect them.
- For your protection, your password:
- Should be 8-12 alphanumeric characters long
- Must not be the same as your User ID
- Should contain both upper and lower case characters (e.g., a-z, A-Z), for example: PasSword
- Should be a mix of both alpha and numeric characters. For example: PasS99Word
- Should not be a word in any language, slang, dialect, jargon, etc.
- Should not be based on personal information, names of family.
- Avoid using an easily guessed password such as a word found in the dictionary, your name, your significant other's name, your pet’s name, or your birthday.
- Avoid writing your password in a place where others can view it.
- Use the "SIGN OUT" button/link to log out from My Account and close your browser. After logging out, you will be returned to the sign-in page. Failure to log out could endanger the security of your personal information by potentially allowing others using the same computer to access information saved or cached in the memory of the browser.
After I'm enrolled, how do I change information?
- To update your name and e-mail address associated with My Account, see the “Profile Tab” within the My Account.*
- To edit certain billing information, such as mailing address, see “Update Mailing Address, Phone Number, Billing Information” on the My Account home page.
- To update your bank account information, you will need to delete the existing bank account number and add the new bank account number within the My Account application. (Note, any future, scheduled One-Time or Recurring online payments connected with the bank account information you deleted and updated will need to be set up and submitted again to ensure they are paid from the new, updated bank account.)
* Note, if you change your e-mail address, you must notify SDG&E by providing your current e-mail address within the secure Profile section of My Account to allow SDG&E to forward your bill ready notification to your e-mail box. You are responsible for paying SDG&E bills regardless of whether you receive e-mail notifications of any bill issued or not.
What happens in the event of a rejected payment request?
SDG&E will send you an e-mail notification that your payment has been rejected by your bank or financial institution. You will need to delete your existing bank information and add your new bank account information before submitting another payment.
Although SDG&E will not add charges for your participation in this online program, you are solely responsible for the accuracy of your current banking information and for payment of any charges added to your bank account by your bank or financial institution as a result of your participation in My Account. Please check with your financial institution for possible fees it may impose. In addition, if your payment is ever rejected, SDG&E will pass through the charges assessed for such rejection, and will add an $8.00 returned payment fee on your next bill. SDG&E also reserves the right to terminate your ability to pay your bill online if your payment is rejected more than once within any 12-month period.
How do I discontinue access to one or more of my account(s) online?
To withdraw from accessing one or more of your account(s) online, discontinue receiving bill ready e-mail notification(s) and discontinue paying bills online you must unlink your bill accounts on the Manage Accounts screen. Once bill accounts have been unlinked, they can no longer be accessed online, no bill ready notification will be sent and no online bill payments can be made through My Account.
If I’m currently enrolled in SDG&E’s Automatic Pay payment option, can I make an online payment through My Account?
If you are enrolled in Automatic Pay and you make an online payment through My Account, you will be automatically taken off of Automatic Pay to prevent any duplicate payments. By setting up automatic online recurring payments through My Account, you’ll be able to have your monthly payment automatically deducted from your designated bank account, just like Automatic Pay, but you’ll have greater control and convenience to choose the date and amount you wish to pay automatically each month. To set up automatic recurring payments, choose “Pay My Bill” and then select “Recurring”.
Once you pay your bill online with My Account (One-Time payment or Recurring payments) or elect paperless billing and your first online payment has been processed by SDG&E, you will no longer receive SDG&E bills through the mail for any SDG&E account(s) you pay online. You will only receive an e-mail notification when your SDG&E bill is issued. Through My Account, you will be able to view, print and save up to 25 months of bills. SDG&E will forward any late payment, collections or shut-off notices through U.S. mail.
If I’m currently enrolled in SDG&E’s Pay-by-Phone payment option, can I make an online payment through My Account?
If you register online for My Account, you will have the flexibility of deciding each month whether to make your payment online or by phone. However, once you pay your bill online with My Account (One-Time payment or Recurring payments) and your first online payment has been processed by SDG&E, you will no longer receive SDG&E bills through the mail for any SDG&E account(s) you pay online. You will only receive an e-mail notification when your SDG&E bill is issued. Through My Account, you will be able to view, print and save up to 25 months of bills. SDG&E will forward any late payment, collections or shut-off notices through U.S. mail.