Top 10 Environmental Facts and Achievements
Environmental stewardship is an essential part of our culture and our day-to-day business. Here’s just a glimpse of some of our environmental activities, facts, and achievements.
- National climate leader. We have twice been recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for our efforts to combat climate change with the Supply Chain Leadership Award (2013) and the Organizational Leadership Award (2012), both honoring our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint through lowering greenhouse gas emissions.
- Renewable leadership. In 2012 more than 20 percent of the electricity supplied was from renewable sources compared to less than 1 percent in 2002.
- Energy efficiency. Over the last three years, customers have reduced their electricity use by more than 911 million kilowatt hours and their gas usage by more than 1.8 million therms. That’s enough electricity to power more than 150,000 homes for one year or taking more than 135,000 cars off the road for a year.
- Electronic billing. More than 41 percent of customer bills are sent electronically - well above the national utility average of 15.6 percent.
- Alternate fueled vehicles. Almost 90 percent of our Fleet passenger cars are alternate fuel (CNG, electric, hybrid).
- Exemplary environmental compliance. Through June 2012, more than 98 percent of our agency environmental inspections were completed without an agency violation.
- Reducing bottled water. Each year, our headquarters water filtration system use is equivalent to more than 200,000 (20 oz.) plastic bottles of water, which avoids plastic bottled water use.
- Land protection. More than 11,000 acres in land for environmental mitigation has been protected as part of the Sunrise Powerlink project; that is about nine Balboa Parks.
- SDG&E Green Team. A dedicated group of employee volunteers focus on identifying and implementing new opportunities to reduce our environmental impacts on campus and promote sustainability.
- Biodiesel: We re-introduced biodiesel in 2012 as an alternative fuel for our fleet which helps to reduce our emissions.