EcoChoiceSM gives you the option to purchase clean, renewable energy if you don't own a home, can't afford the upfront costs of solar or don't have the ability to put solar panels on your roof. You can now support the environment and promote the growth of renewable energy in our region with no upfront installation costs.
How It Works
When you enroll, SDG&E buys renewable energy on your behalf from large, utility-scale generating facilities built specifically for EcoChoice. You can enroll to have up to 100% of your electricity use in the program and pay a small premium each month based on the size of your renewable energy subscription. The more renewable energy you buy the more renewable generation we can build.
New renewable energy facilities take time to build, and a temporary pool of solar facilities (Interim Pool) will be used to serve the program until new renewable energy generating facilities come online.
Estimate Your Premium
Use our EcoChoice Cost Calculator to estimate how much it will cost each month to purchase renewable energy for your home or business.
Enrolling in EcoChoice is easy using our online form. Please have your SDG&E account number ready, which you can find at the top of a recent SDG&E bill or by logging into sdge.com/MyAccount. Also, be sure to review program price, terms, and conditions in the EcoChoice tariff. A minimum one year agreement is required and termination fees may apply.
Note: customers currently on a distributed generation rate such as Net Energy Metering (NEM), a pilot rate, or participating in Direct Access (DA) are not eligible to participate in EcoChoice. Additionally, participating EcoChoice customers will have reduced functionality in My Account. See the Frequently Asked Questions page for more details.
You can also enroll in EcoChoice using our paper application (pdf).
- 2017 Prospective Product Content Label (pdf) – Information on the renewable energy supply expected to serve the EcoChoice program in 2017.
- 2017 Price, Terms, and Conditions Summary (pdf) – An easy-to-read overview of EcoChoice participation requirements. Please see the EcoChoice tariff for an official listing of program requirements.
- EcoChoice Subscription Changes Form (pdf) – For currently enrolled customers, use this form to change your EcoChoice subscription percentage or cancel your participation.
- Historical Rates and 20-Year Forecasts
Frequently Asked Questions
- Withdrawing from the program
EcoChoice has a minimum enrollment term of one year with a 60-day grace period. If you cancel your participation after the 60-day period has expired, a termination fee will apply. After you have been enrolled in EcoChoice for one year, you may cancel at any time without penalty.